Acting now towards a sustainable present and future is the responsibility of everyone, and a priority for the Brazil Steel Institute. That is why we have created the Brazil Steel Co-products Center, an initiative meant to contribute to the preservation of non-renewable resources and to the country’s development.
CCABrasil, created with the support of the Brazil Steel Institute’s associated members and colaborators, is an important step towards fostering the development of co-products meeting various applications, in terms of quality and sustainability.
Brazilian steel is world-famous for its high quality, and CCABrasil will work to ensure the same to the sector’s other products.
Applications for sustainable steelmaking co-products:
Studies and research conducted not only in Brazil but in other countries as well demonstrate concrete possibilities for the use of co-products in civil construction, pavement, ceramics, agriculture, production of cement and concrete, for example:
- Steel shop aggregate (finer fractions): soil pH correction, slope containment, production of phosphated fertilizers, production of cement and concrete;
- Steel shop aggregate (gravel and rougher fractions): landscaping recuperation, railway ballast, parking yard, recuperation of roads in general, construction of road base and sub-base and production of asphalt;
- Blast furnace aggregate: production of cement, concrete and mineral wool.
Benefits generated by the use of steel co-products:
The use of steel co-products will provide several environmental benefits:
- Reduction of consumption of non-renewable natural resources, such as those generated from rock mining, sand and other primary materials;
- Transformation of a potential liability into an environmental asset, by avoiding unnecessary exploitation of materials and landfills and adopting their application for noble purposes, such as infrastructure works;
- Reduction of greenhouse gas emissions in the production of cement, due to the use of steel co-product instead of clinker.